the doctor and our team always tell our patients that if you value your overall health, not just your oral health, anytime is a good time to visit CPID for a periodontal evaluation. Sometimes the only way to identify periodontal (gum) disease is through a comprehensive periodontal evaluation. If you notice any of the following periodontal disease symptoms outlined by the American Dental Association, it may be time to give us a call to schedule an exam:
- Gums that bleed easily or are swollen, red, or tender
- Gums that bleed while brushing, flossing, or eating hard foods
- Pus between your gums and teeth
- Sores in your mouth
- Gums that are receding or pulling away from the teeth, causing teeth to look longer than before
- Frequent bad breath or a bad taste in your mouth
- A change in the way teeth align when you bite
- A change in the way partial dentures fit
It is also important to note that it’s possible to have gum disease and have no warning signs. While studies have indicated that older people have the highest rates of periodontal disease, we recommend being seen by the doctor sooner rather than later when dealing with gum disease. An evaluation at our office can not only help catch gingivitis, the early form of gum disease in time, but can also give you peace of mind. Gingivitis, if detected early, can be treated and eventually reversed.
Not doing anything, however, can lead to periodontal disease, which can in turn lead to tooth loss. The best way to avoid gum disease is to visit our Buffalo Grove, Illinois office for an evaluation. To schedule your visit, please give us a call today! We look forward to seeing you!